Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What is a Neko?

At the dawn of time Mother created the angels. Being not "Her," they saw not all. Some saw Good, some saw Evil, thus they chose.

In the following battle between Angels and Demons, the few that did not choose got in the crossfire and lost Eternal Life.

Mother took Pity on them and granted them Nine Lives.

The lost Tribe.

Too Sexy for Heaven, Too Sweet for Hell.

Naughty by Nature. Adorable by Default.

Neko!

- Mau Nightfire


Neko is the Japanese word for the domestic cat. Because they are so exquisite and magical they are often considered to be female :). From kitty ears and tail to fur, claws, and whiskers, they tend to behave with a kittenish attitude. But Nekos are not all girls, and boy Nekos are not necessarily gay.


Are Nekos femme? Misconceptions are in part fostered by usage of the term Neko. In Japanese gay slang, "Neko" is equivalent to "femme," i.e., the more feminine member of a lesbian relationship. It's also equivalent to the bottom or passive partner in a male homosexual relationship. But there is a real femme vs. not femme debate. Cats are sensual, lithe, seductive, cuddlesome... all traits usually attributed to the fairer sex. On the other hand, a cat can be sinewy, a hunter, a stalker, a predator... traits generally ascribed to males.


First of all, let me just say that BON JOVI ROCKS.... I had to say that because Jameson Gufler, an extremely well-dressed and fashionable boy Neko, insisted that I had to say it as a precondition for any serious discussion of Neko. His exact words were: "Hahah! You have to! They kick arse!"


I met Jameson and an apparent girlfriend at the Sweet Reach Neko Garden (Sweet Reach 3,30,95). Jameson is very opinionated as to what it means to be a Neko. Like many who subscribe to a philosophy of Neko, he is disgusted with those who participate as one would in any fad. "Being a Neko is its own thing, it's as simple as that... Few that claim to be one actually understand what it means to be one. Most people go out and get ears and tails because they think it looks cool.... That’s not being Neko. It's a touchy subject, I suppose, because loads of people think they are a Neko and they aren't. Lol! It's a touchy subject, and it's not for everyone. Only serious people need apply. And to all their own :P"


INTERVIEWS WITH SOME OTHER NEKOS...


Why would anyone want to be a Neko?

Robin Lime: "Different reasons for different people I guess, Gudrun. For me -- it wasn't much about the philosophy or anything like that, just an attraction to the image and a lifelong love of cats. I'm sure that to people who are serious about their Neko-ism I come off as a poseur. After all, I usually wear the ears, but the skin and tail are not part of my daily routine."

Mau Nightfire: "Okay, but before I answer that I want to make sure that you know that these are Mau's answers, and Mau does not speak for the entire Neko community -- Neko is a fantasy creature. For me it’s the best character traits of human and cat mixed. All the traits some love and others hate cats for in a more or less human package. Independent yet fond of humans but always on their terms. And since it's a fantasy creature, I get the freedom to make of it what I like and be what I like."

Christiana Aurbierre: "Because I love to be different and step outside the box."


Is there bestiality involved? (Well, beyond what we might normally experience with our pets while playing with their tails, etc., LOL)

Robin: "Not as far as I know."

Mau: "Did you ever ask a Playboy girl that question (you know the ones with the stuck on ears and tail)? Do all Goth vampire girls drink blood or associate themselves with cannibalism? For me the answer is NO! I am not an animal. Neko represents for me a way to show my character. I don't view myself or other Neko/foxkin as animals."

Christiana: "No."


Is the Neko reputation for sensuality and affection deserved?

Robin: "I think so, but I'm prejudiced."

Mau: "In my case absolutely =^.^= add naughty and adorable to the mix and you got kitty."

Christiana: "Yes, Neko's are really affectionate and sweet."


Is Neko femme, or can guys be true Neko?

Mau: "Oh yes. I know some pretty awesome male Neko."

Christiana: "Obviously u haven't met my friend Jameson :)"


What do you think of tomcats?

Robin: "Not applicable. I don't think much about this issue cuz I don't spend much time thinking about guys. The sooner they get off the planet the sooner we can all take our clothes off."

Mau: *Looks up, shrugs, looks outside sees a bird and asks absent mindedly: 'What was the question?'"


Do kitties get more pussy?

Robin: "I'm not telling."

Mau: "About the same as redheads, blondes and brunettes I guess. Kitty does not really keep score."

Christiana: "Not just b/c we are kitties no... it's cause i'm hot... j/k"


Is there a relationship between Neko and Goth? Between Neko and Vampire?

Robin: "Neko, Goth, Vampire, they're all outsider groups who I think are more in tune with the dark side of life than mainstreamers are. A lot of the creative inspiration is similar. For instance, the only Neko skin I like well enough to wear a lot is a Goth Neko that was created by a skin maker (Starfuker Skins) that specializes in Goth skins. I'm kind of Neko by nature, whereas [my GF partner] Tonda is pretty Goth, and it seems to be a good combination.

Mau: "Lemme see... Ok I got a nice white skin with some light tiger markings (tabby) and Goth like makeup. I like Industrial and EBM. So yea for me there is some overlap. Kitty got bitten a few times by a vampire so yep there is overlap too. Kitty is submissive so there is definitely some overlap with BDSM too. But then Kitty likes Bach, Vivaldi, Monk, Elderidge, Basi, Ellington, Waits, Vega, Amos, Cohen. So for some there is overlap for others there is not. Some Kitties like Charts. Does that make them dull?"

Christiana: "Only if u want it to be. I like Goth stuff and Vampire stuff so it has no correlation, just what u prefer."


Do you patronize businesses that cater to a particular "demographic," i.e. Neko?

Robin: "Yes, I'm for always looking clothes and accessories that look... Neko."

Mau: "Well I like leather harnesses so I definitely scavenge the BDSM stores. There are some lovely Neko stores though with really pretty casual wear. Oh and I have a lovely tuxedo and just the most gorgeous black Goth dresses. I try to avoid businesses that don’t want me because I am a sub, Neko and, and... and."

Christiana: "Yes I shop at Neko shops, but I also shop everywhere else."


What about Nekos and clothes?

Robin: "??"

Mau: "Don’t really need them since I have the sexiest silky, short, white fur you can imagine. But not wearing clothes gets me kicked out of too many clubs and sims. Still I look good in clothes... *grin*. I don't wear shoes very often. It's easier to chase squirrels and Yorkshire terriers up trees if kitty has a good 4 paw grip on bark."

Christiana: "Uhm I don't walk around naked."


Okay, what is the point of Neko?

Robin: "For me personally? It's about the way I present myself to the world and to my partner."

Mau: "For me, to show myself and to have a history in SL that allows me to be changed into another form from time to time."

Christiana: "Wow uhm... I think that Neko comes from the heart. Neko means Cat in Japanese and Cats are very loving and affectionate creatures."


IN SUM:


Though the seriousness of being Neko is a recurring theme among all of those I've spoken to, this mustn’t detract from the simple funness of catness or of one being able to just fool around. Interspecies mating. Neko, elf, fae, furry, human, android, Gorean, vampire, demi-god. Gay, lesbian, tranny, str8. It's all part and parcel of SL. As long as we all respect each other's needs.


Each and every human being in the entire world, be it the real world or metaverse, has something that someone else somewhere feels is weird. If people try to marginalize a group, try to stop them from doing as they please, well, sooner or later, those people will find themselves on the other side of the glass. I do believe in taking these things seriouSLy. On the other hand, just let's remember where these versions of reality and flights of fancy all exist. LOL!



Also, I haven't quite figured out whether or not being what is colloquially known as a "cougar" qualifies me as a Neko or not... :/

3 comments:

Jameson Gufler said...

Love the post....


no cougar doesn't make you a neko :)

Seraphine said...

Good one, Gudrun. This is a great post, both entertaining and informative.
I've always considered neko to be female and lesbian, though i know others like to participate too. Being neko is being loving and sensuous, and accepting/including. It's a way of seeing the world, and for those serious about it, a way of living.
Some of the nicest most interesting people I know are nekos.
Thanks for sharing!

Eliza said...

Bwahahahaaa cougar!