Sunday, March 7, 2010

What 12 Levels?

For whatever reason, Michele, bless her little heart, decided that I needed a Second Life tag that says "Thinks on 12 levels." I really like this tag, in that it is simultaneously intelligent-sounding and enigmatic. In fact, it's my favorite. But the more I wore it, and the more ppl asked me what it meant, the more I thought it might actually reflect a reality.

I kept wearing it. The organism evolved. I eventually began consciously thinking on 12 levels. Ppl still asked me what 12 levels I was thinking on, and I tried to summarize, but I found it diificult to do so. Eventually I began to feel that my 12 levels required codification. Hence, Gudrun's 12-Level Paradigm of Awareness and Thought:

Level 1 - Thoughtless reaction to external forces. (Like being pushed in SL... even a prim has this.)

Level 2 - Reflex and instinctive action, which also requires no awareness or thinking. Human beings share this behavior with plants and animals.

Level 3 - Learned behavior. We learn what is advantageous or disadvantageous to us, and this creates conditioned reflexes. This is also shared with animals.

Level 4 - Next we have verbal thinking - the indirect exchange of experiences through words. Animals do this to whatever extent a species can communicate feelings. People also communicate ideas.

Level 5 - Abstract concepts are then created by identifying essences and common elements. These are then manipulated to form systems of science, art, and technology. We begin to identfy causes, effects, forces, and processes that go beyond personal need or emotion.

Level 6 - We reify abstractions such as the family, society, God, and nations. (An individual then perceives their own self as part of these abstractions - unless they're completely alienated):

Level 7 - What do I have (material and abstract non-material - part of self-worth).

Level 8 - What do others have (material and abstract non-material).

Level 9 - What do others think of me (how does the world valuate me - another part of self-worth).

Level 10 - Are they right or wrong? How has it impacted my behavior?

Level 11 - What do they think I think of them (how do they see me and my probable actions in relation to themselves and their interests).

Level 12 - Are they right or wrong, and does it make a difference? Do all or some of them think it makes a difference, and if so, how many (differences and/or ppl)? (The real question: If an election were held tomorrow, would I win?)

So that's how I think on 12 levels. Obviously I have WAY to much time on my hands...

No comments: